Thursday, August 20, 2009

Confessions of an obsessaholic No. 8: Lists

I’m a list person. I love making to-do lists then crossing off items as I accomplish them. For example, a typical to-do list might look something like this:

Drop Kakita at groomers

Target (Vanilla latte?)

Grocery store

Pick up Kakita

Golf

Borders

Kohl’s

Write

Of course, this list contains items that would have individual lists, like a list of items I’m buying at Target or the grocery store. And, here’s a confession: Sometimes when something isn’t on the list and I accomplish it, I put it on just so I can cross it off.

I won’t even try to explain the list on my desk at work, which changes constantly as reporters file stories, I edit and return for revisions, they make changes and file again, I edit again – just describing this process makes me dizzy. But, trust me, it works. The notations on my list tell me what stage a particular story is in.

Are you a list maker or do you keep it all in your head?

1 comment:

  1. We take a list to the grocery store. While we're there, my job is to use the calculator to track our spending as we go, and Chris's is to keep the list. And if something we buy isn't on the list, he adds it, then circles it. (He doesn't cross off. He circles. It disturbs me.)

    ReplyDelete