Saturday, September 12, 2009

Opening the box

By the way, I'm opening the box (see earlier posts) today so we'll see where that takes me. I always know how I'm going to start a story and where I think I'll end up. But the middle? Well, not so much. I'm not a plotter when it comes to writing. That probably will surprise a lot of people given my obsessive nature. But when it comes to writing, I love the discovery, seeing where my characters will take me and what they will do and how they will overcome whatever conflict they face. It's like riding a roller coaster for the first time and not knowing exactly where the twists and turns are. It's like so much fun. It's exhilarating in a way that nothing else is. So what about you? Are you a plotter or a fly-by-a-seater like me? And why does whatever way you write work for you? Love to hear from fellow writers.

1 comment:

  1. When I start, I have a fair idea of the ending. I know what has to happen to get there -- some plot points, some logical assumptions. I already know the characters, to some degree, though they sometimes surprise me.

    Once these are in my mind, I start writing. I don't always write in order, I sometimes skip scenes I draw a blank on, and I often create more plot points and develop more ideas as I go -- but I write. Then I pull all the scenes together and connect them up afterwards.

    ReplyDelete