Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Crazy day that ended with a Rolo

So I was totally thinkin’ about my day. It was crazy. Started out by going to a doctor’s appointment and learning that I was a week early. Ugh! Too long to wait so I went to work. But I was perturbed because I had planned my entire morning around this one event, which turned out to be a non-event. Got me thinkin’ about life and how sometimes the things we plan end up being turned upside down and inside out.

Writing is like that sometimes. We start down one path with our characters and suddenly they’re in our heads leading us in a different direction. Just try to ignore them. Not gonna happen. They’ll haunt you and torture you until you listen.

But, and here’s the point of my mumble jumble (hey, it’s late), sometimes the best things happen when the things we had planned fall through. It’s like wanting a Hershey chocolate Kiss and getting a Rolo instead and discovering the creamy caramel center of the Rolo is heaven on your tongue (oh how I love Rolos).

Point?

Be willing to adapt. Be willing to go along for the ride. Listen to your characters. Trust them. You never know where you’ll end up and there might just be a Rolo at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment