Friday, April 23, 2010

Ella's Dance: A Grandma note

Note 181

My dearest Ella,
Attitude is everything.
Maddie took me to chemo today and I met this wonderful young girl (She couldn’t have been more than 27) who had a baby. She had such a great attitude. She was so positive. I felt better just sitting next to her.
She told me about her son, who has just started saying “Mum Mum,” and about her husband, who she had met in a college chemistry class because they were lab partners. We talked about many things, and I was amazed that a girl so young could be so wise. It reminded me that we all have bad stuff happen to us. It’s how we deal with this bad stuff that counts.
The older I get the more I see that attitude is everything. You might have talent and knowledge. Perhaps you’re even gifted. But it’s your attitude that will make the difference between winning and losing, between persevering and giving up.
I hope I see Sarah again. Her attitude was certainly contagious and just the reminder I needed on I day I was feeling particularly low.
Love you bunches and bunches, Grandma

3 comments:

  1. Yes, you are so right that attitude is everything, not just in writing. We all must face bad things, either that happen to ourselves or to others we love. If we can try to be positive and learn from it, it helps make the experience so much better. It's the same with writing and rejections. If we see the positive in what we're doing, we won't give up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet. Reminds me of my Gram.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies. Candyland, Grandma D reminds me of my mom. (Smiles) And Natalie, you're right about finding sunshine even in the darkest of times.

    ReplyDelete