Tuesday, November 2, 2010

What is your Field of Dreams?

I love the movie Field of Dreams for so many reasons. I love that it's about a guy who hears a voice and listens to that voice despite the naysayers trying to drown it out. And there are so many great quotes. Here are a few of my favs.

Ray Kinsella: Fifty years ago, for five minutes you came within... y-you came this close. It would KILL some men to get so close to their dream and not touch it. God, they'd consider it a tragedy.
Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham: Son, if I'd only gotten to be a doctor for five minutes... now that would have been a tragedy.

Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham: You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day.

Ray Kinsella: I'm 36 years old, I love my family, I love baseball and I'm about to become a farmer. But until I heard the voice, I'd never done a crazy thing in my whole life.


So, do you hear a voice? Does it keep you going even when the dream to which it speaks seems distant and out of reach? Sometimes, in the quiet of the night, when I'm not quite asleep, I hear the voice and it cradles me and rocks me to sleep. It's that voice I remember when the daylight brings challenges and frustrations and the road to publication seems riddled with obstacles too many to overcome. How about you? Do you hear the voice? 

6 comments:

  1. Yes, I hear it too. Which is good because that daylight voice can get pretty loud focusing on how hard it is to get published and questioning whether I'm good enough. The quiet voice reminds me why I love to write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never stopped listening to my "dream" voice. And if I had stopped listening...my deans never ever would have come true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well for me, who's never been much of a camper, I seem to have these campfire dreams where I'm sitting at the campfire and my characters come up out of the dark woods to tell me their stories. Sometimes they fight for a spot next to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear stories; I just hope I live long long enough to write them all down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do...I dream about those voices...Sometimes sparkly new ideas drive me to distraction...

    Field of Dreams is about an hour from where I live. It is a very peaceful place. Kids show up with their gloves and balls and play for a bit, but it's just a sureal calming atmosphere...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like we all "hear" the voice in one way or another.
    Lanita, the campfire dream is interesting, especially since it recurs. And I love the meaning behind each character fighting to sit next to you.
    Sharon, I know what you mean about stories driving you to distraction. They demand attention, don't they?
    Marcy, you will live long enough.
    K.M., good for you that you didn't give up.
    Nat, you're "good enough.' Believe in yourself.

    Thank you all for commenting and joining in the discussion. I hope you have a fantastic Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete