Saturday, April 16, 2011

35th anniversary of Pops Rocks


I loved Pop Rocks as a kid. Remember the urban legend that if you drank soda and ate Pop Rocks your stomach would explode? Guess what? Not true. (Smiles) Did you know that the crackling sound comes from the release of tiny pockets of carbon dioxide. Who knew, right?

So, why all the talk about Pop Rocks. Well, I recently ran across a company press release stating that it is re-releasing its original retro grape flavor in celebration of the candy's 35th anniversary. Apparently the company rediscovered the lost recipe and decided to bring it back after a nearly three-decade absence. 

In celebration of the candy's place in kids' lives everywhere (and in pop culture, too), I found this video busting the urban myth. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I loved pop rocks! They were so much fun. I'm thinking they were popular when I was in the 7th and 8th grade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where'd you find that great Pop Rocks packaging photo? Or did you actually scan the packaging? Hehe, If so, impressive attention to detail!

    ReplyDelete