Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Endings....

I'm nearing the end of my WIP and I gotta tell you I'm struggling a bit. I knew from the beginning how this book would end, but I can't quite figure out how exactly I want to pull everything together. To be honest, I feel a bit overwhelmed. And I think that my fear of not doing the book justice is definitely not helping the creative process. So I've been thinking about it, working it out in my head, turning ideas over and over in my head. But I think I'll just have to dig in and write. I have to start somewhere, right?   

Do you ever struggle with endings? Do you have a favorite last line from a book? Here are some:

1. He loved Big Brother. –George Orwell, 1984 (1949)
2. And so, as Tiny Tim observed, God bless Us, Every One! –Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol (1843)
3. Don’t ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody. –J. D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye (1951)
4. "Tomorrow, I’ll think of some way to get him back. After all, tomorrow is another day." –Margaret Mitchell, Gone with the Wind (1936)
5.After a while I went out and left the hospital and walked back to the hotel in the rain. –Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms (1929)

4 comments:

  1. Endings are hard for me too. I noticed my endings are not particularly happy ones, but it feels okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A last great line can be hard to come up with - along with tying up all those loose ends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm more likely to struggle in the middle, trying to reach my ending. But don't worry that you aren't doing your story justice -- especially if this is the first draft.

    Once it's all written, you'll be able to see where things didn't tie together, where you missed an opportunity, or where a different approach would have served your plot better.

    And then you can fix all those things! I love revisions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dianne is right...just write it then go back during revisions and you can smooth it out.

    Have a wonderful week, Buffy!

    ReplyDelete