Tuesday, December 13, 2011

(Long) quote of the day from me

I never understood how someone could step up to the plate and not whack the ball as hard as they could. It's not always going to be a homerun. Heck, it might not even be a single. Could be a out. But you have to try. You have to give it everything you got. If you fail, you fail. Tomorrow's another day. You step up to the plate again and maybe, just maybe, this time you'll succeed.


I've watched too many people step up to that plate and cower in the face of the big man on the mound. He's scary, I know. But you're scarier. And, you've got something he doesn't. And that, my friend, is the determination to succeed. You know that it might not be today. Could be tomorrow or the day after that. But one day, hopefully soon, you'll hit that ball out of the park and the dude on the mound will shake his sweaty head in disbelief. "He did that?" he'll ask. And you'll look at him, a smirk sneaking onto your face, because you know something he never figured out -- that all the curve balls in the world won't stop you from going after what you want.


That, my friend, is called determination. It's knowing with every ounce of your being that you succeed even when you try and fail. That success isn't something you're owed, but something you make. And you make it through not giving up, but by stepping up to that plate time after time and whacking that ball as hard as you can. So no wimpy hits here. I want to see big-ass tries, people. I know you can do it.

6 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! Look out world...Buffy's got the ball, the bat and the rest of us in her corner! Just you wait and see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, boss,for having my back.LOL, B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this, Buffy. Wonderful reminder and always needed :)

    Hugs,

    Martina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buffy, I think this is so important and something we don't teach our children, that it's okay and even important to fail. Everybody gets a trophy and everybody gets promoted to the next grade even if they don't earn it. Then when reality hits them with their first failure, they give up. It's just been in recent years that I've learned that failing doesn't make you a failure, but failure to try does. Thanks for a great post.
    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buffy, thank you for sharing this post !!! Sooo true, I can say I tryed and failed countless time at my biggest struggle in life for 40 years. Dusted off and got back up to try again. Today (try) is not something I do because for me that little word speaks loud... a chance at (try) means possible fail. I have tryed so many times I can say today I am strong with big determination due to all past attempts to beat my battle with the bulge. Today ((no more try)) Living a life with desire and determination powered by Faith, the will to never give up, action not just words, by: JUST DO IT <3 Thank you Buffy, you always INSPIRE !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for responding to this post. I always tell my kids that failures are the building blocks to success.

    Here's a column I wrote a while back that might interest you. http://buffyswritezone.blogspot.com/2009/08/we-learn-from-our-failures.html

    Blessings to each of you. You will succeed!

    ReplyDelete