Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Yearbook: Ellen

The year was 1982. We danced to Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” album and watched “E.T.” on the silver screen. John Belushi died and Prince William was born. We exercised  to Jane Fonda video tapes and never missed watching “Dynasty” on TV. Gas cost 91 cents a gallon and a stamp two dimes. We were spooked by the Tylenol scare and held our breath as the recession began.
It was a year of promise and pain, of sweetness and sorrow.

But it was OUR year. 

We were the Class of 1982, and we were ready to take on the world.   



Ellen (Yearbook post/ 1982)

Gina, To one of my very best friends. You and Becky are like sisters to me. You're always there to help and listen to me whenever I'm down. I don’t think anyone could ever have two better friends.

You've brought me back to earth many times, and I'm very grateful for that. So if there is ever a time when you need help, don’t forget that I'm here. Next year you’ll be going off to college. Becky will be off somewhere, too. We’ll be all spread apart. I hope we keep in touch by writing to each other and visiting.


 I’m looking forward to spending a weekend at college with you. There are so many things that we all have to experience yet. I hope that you and Mike will keep that great relationship you two have. I think you have finally found a love that is good and true and I can see what he does for you.

Never forget all of the fun times that we shared these past four years. I hope there are many more to come. Good luck with everything you do and keep in touch over the summer. I’ll see you at the prom, Love, El

..........................  

3/27/12

Ellen was right about one thing, after high school we all went in different directions. Becky went in the Air Force and Ellen went to culinary school. I went to college. We kept in touch the first year, but then we started to drift apart.

The things that bound us together in high school no longer existed. We didn’t cheer together. We weren’t class officers. We weren’t in the senior class play or planning social events for the student body. We were no longer the big fishes in a little pond but little fishes in very big ponds – and the ponds were worlds apart.
 
I had thought our friendship meant more, and I’m mad that I didn’t do more to keep it intact. Guess you always think there’s time to catch up and make things right, and then time runs out.

 Mom sent me a newspaper clipping of Becky in her military uniform. It was weird because Becky wasn’t smiling in the photo and she always smiled. That’s the one thing I remember about her; she always had a smile on her face. I wonder if Beck is still in the service and if Ellen is cooking at some Five-star restaurant like she dreamed she would. Maybe someday  I’ll find out.       



Other posts in this blog series

No comments:

Post a Comment