Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Yearbook: Jeremy


The year was 1982. We danced to Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” album and watched “E.T.” on the silver screen. John Belushi died and Prince William was born. We exercised  to Jane Fonda video tapes and never missed watching “Dynasty” on TV. Gas cost 91 cents a gallon and a stamp two dimes. We were spooked by the Tylenol scare and held our breath as the recession began.
It was a year of promise and pain, of sweetness and sorrow.

But it was OUR year. 

We were the Class of 1982, and we were ready to take on the world.    



Jeremy (Yearbook post/1982) 

Gina,
To a really nice girl that I always can hear over where I sit. You’re one of the good girls in this school. Good luck, Bean

..........................

4/18/12

Thanks, Jeremy. You were just as loud. Maybe louder. Jeremy was the tallest guy I knew. He was 6-foot, 7-inches and the star of our basketball team. He was also thin. That’s how he got the nickname “Bean.” I think three of my steps equaled one of his. He also had perfect teeth. His dad was a dentist.



Jeremy was my boyfriend’s best friend. Mike and I played matchmaker and fixed Jeremy up with Ellen for the prom. They dated the rest of that senior year and summer, but when Jeremy went away to play basketball for a college in the Midwest and Lynn went to a private school in Vermont, that pretty much ended that.

Jeremy went to dental school and joined his dad’s practice. He married a girl he met in college. I’ve met her once or twice over the years and she seems nice. She’s not tall, though. There must be a foot difference between them. I don’t think she can kiss him even if she stands on her tip-toes. I think they have a couple of kids. I wonder who they take after. Maybe a little of each.

1 comment:

  1. What you write is always a bit tantalizing and makes one think. I went to my 50th class reunion three years ago and a bunch of old people showed up. I still remembered them as those kids back in high school with hair and firm flesh. By the way, being over a foot taller than my wife, I assure you the kissing thing works out just fine.

    ReplyDelete