Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Remember smell when writing

Yesterday, as I was leaving the YMCA, a sweetness hung in the air. Carried by the evening breeze, it was the perfect exclamation point to my day. I inhaled the flowery scent, stopping to look around to see if I could determine its origin. The smell took me back to childhood springs when honeysuckle vines twisting and turning up a neighbor's fence lured me with their rich scent.

When I got into the car, I thought about smells in our writing. I've talked before about the importance of uses all of your senses when writing, but I find that smell (along with taste) is often overlooked.

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. You're probably right. Adding smells to our work can give the reader another insight into the world/characters we're creating. I'm a huge fan of highlighting the sense while I write.

    ReplyDelete