Wednesday, September 26, 2012

An unexpected sign


An accountant friend who was considering going to seminary told me that she asked God for a sign. If she received flowers by the end of the day, it meant it was the right path for her.

The hours ticked by but no flowers came. She thought for sure a delivery truck would pull up to her house and a smiling driver would deliver a beautiful arrangement.

It was the end of the day and she was outside working in her yard when suddenly her small son bounced up to her.




"I picked some flowers for you," he said, handing her the tiny bunch of weeds, er flowers, clutched in his hand.

She got her flowers, just not in the way she had expected. And wasn't it great they came from a child? She's now a Lutheran minister in a southcentral Pennsylvania church.

So why am I sharing this story? I think that our lives are full of signs. Some we recognize immediately and some we don't understand the relevance of until  much later.

This morning when I took the dog for a walk, I found this nest on top of a bush in my yard. I had a restless night, worried about some stuff. When I saw the nest, I took it as a sign that everything would be OK. I don't know why I looked at the bush. It's not something I'd normally do, but for some reason I did.

Have you ever received a sign in an unexpected way?


No comments:

Post a Comment