Monday, November 19, 2012

FDR photo published in 1945 in Philadelphia Record found in old dictionary


I found this photo on newsprint tucked inside an old dictionary on my shelf. This is the wording under the photo:


Franklin Delano Roosevelt
In Memoriam
1882-1945

On the lower left it says: Supplement to the Philadelphia Record, Sunday, April 15, 1945. 


Roosevelt, the 32nd president of the United States, died on April 12, 1945. He is the only American president elected to more than two terms.  

I was not familiar with The Philadelphia Record until looking it up. It was a daily newspaper published from 1877 until 1947.

I wonder which of my family members tucked this into the dictionary so many years ago? Could have been my grandfather or grandmother. Maybe my dad. And I wonder if they ever imagined someone finding it more than 60 years later. 

What's the neatest thing you've ever found tucked inside a book? Chris Otto, my co-worker and friend, over at Papergreat writes about this all of the time. He has some uber cool stuff. Check out his blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment