Monday, December 10, 2012

When writing connects with readers

As a writer, I want to connect with people. I want my words to mean something, to matter. I want my readers to feel and think, and remember. To be moved and touched by the ramblings of my mind. 

Sometimes, if I'm lucky, I'll hear from a reader or two. And when this happens, it's like an unexpected snow day. A blanket of pure goodness that makes everything pretty and bright. 

Such was the case when my column, Remember those who are grieving this holiday season. was published.

There was this note from Fawn:



Good afternoon, just wanted to let you know that I really appreciated your article in today’s Sunday paper.  You absolutely hit it right on the head.  We know all the right words, know they’re all in  a better place, but every now and then have our own pity party.  Just once I want to have someone ask me how I am.  Thank you – I’m tempted, if you don’t mind, to read the article at church next Sunday.  At the merriest of times, it’s also the worst of times for some.  I’m hoping your article will help others, as it did me, I always know it’s not just me that gets down every now and then, but all of us at various times of the year.  Thanks again – it was a great article.  You too , have my sympathies.

God Bless,
Fawn McCallister

And this note from Cindy: 


Just wanted to let you know that, in my Grief Share group, they handed out copies of your recent article about grief and the holidays, and everyone loved it. Thank you for reminding people that love never dies.
Cindy Kalinoski 
And there was this from Paul Richard on Google+


#Grief  Thanks for posting the link to your article.  After my wife's death one widower told me, "I'm not going to tell you get gets better, because it doesn't.  However, it does get less bad."  A few months after my wife's death I started searching G+ and other areas for advice, discussions, etc.  There is very little, so I started marking items I find with the #Grief  hash tag and trying to write or link to a post at least once a day.

And there were more notes and even some phone calls. I want to thank my readers for taking the time to write and call. And I hope that you'll share the column with others who might be hurting. God bless each of you.

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you are able to make a difference in those people's lives. I will share that column further.
    Best regards,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete