Monday, June 17, 2013

What I would tell graduates today

It’s been, um, decades since I graduated from high school, but I still remember my graduation speech.
I wrote about a tree, using it as a metaphor for life. Just thinking about it makes me yawn.
B-O-R-I-N-G.
If I could go back in time, here’s what I’d say.

1. Work hard. This might seem like a no-brainer, but plenty of people break from the gate too slowly and never catch up to the pack. Just because you’ve worked hard for more than a decade doesn’t mean you get to slack off for the next four years.
I know, I know. It’s not what you want to hear. But believe me when I tell you that too many people make this mistake and regret it later. It’s not easy bringing up a GPA that you tanked your first year in college; so don’t tank it.

No comments:

Post a Comment