Saturday, November 2, 2013

Meet Shane Scollins: Author of The Bone Room



Meet fellow Limitless Publishing author Shane Scollins. Shane's book The Bone Room was recently released. 


Here's the skinny:

Detective Roman Stone is working hard to rebuild the career he nearly destroyed. 

When he gets called to Alexandria Bay, NY to help the small town police force find a popular missing teenager, random human bones start washing up on the shores of the St. Lawrence River and one simple case becomes the the biggest mystery of his life. 

Chasing clues leads Roman to local historian Becca Quinn, who is the only one willing to show him around the old castles in the area. Becca heads up the Thousand Island Preservation Society and spends her days working to restore some of the island mansions for a new tourism initiative. The last thing she expects is to become part of the investigation, and for her life to be in danger.



What they find is something no one could imagine...

Something strange is lurking under the murky surface of the river waters, and a powerful local family is hiding secrets that could unravel the entire mystery.


About Shane:


Shane is a freelance writer and Amazon best-selling author. Originally from New Jersey, he now lives in upstate New York with his wife, Heather. He has a degree in computer science and has worked as an automotive service manager, a website developer and a computer network engineer. In his spare time, he enjoys playing ice hockey, riding his mountain bike, and strumming on his guitar. Primarily a SciFi and paranormal novelist, Shane enjoys taking readers on surprising and unexpected journeys that twist reality. 

Connect with Shane:







Q&A

Q. Do you see writing as a career? 
A. I do see writing as a career. I’ve always been a creative person, and for some reason I’ve never quite fit into the regular 9-to-5 life. I’ve had a lot of different jobs over the years, but I’ve never been able to put together a sustained career. I got a degree in computer and worked as a network engineer but for various reasons that didn’t work out either. I always end up coming back to writing. It’s always been there for me whether writing books or articles, writing has always been what I go back to when nothing else seems to work. I take it serious and it is my focus right now. … I’m grateful to be in the position to do what I love doing. The rewards come from my fans enjoying my stories. When I get a good review or a special message from a fan saying how much they enjoyed reading my work, that’s a payment that no amount of money can buy. That’s what a career should be about, it should be about doing what you love. 

Q. Who or what is your inspiration?
A. My inspiration comes from so many different places. I never really know where it’s going to originate. The people in my life inspire me daily. Friends in the flesh and on social media inspire me to create great characters and to be a better person. My fans inspire me to be a better writer. But I’m constantly inspired by the world around us.





Q. Any tips for new writers?
A. My tips for new writers are simple. Just keep working hard and be yourself. There is a ton of advice out there for writers and to be quite honest a lot of it is garbage. People like to over complicate things for some reason, not just in writing but in everything. I’m not sure why, maybe it’s to sound more important or maybe it’s because they don’t see the simplicity in life. But everything in life really breaks down to a few core concepts. If you want something, you have to work for it. Everyone is always looking for the quick fix in everything. We’ve become such an instant results and instant satisfaction society that we often forget that hard work and dedication are the only way to get where we want to be. 

Q. If your book was made into a movie, who would you like to see play your characters?
A. That’s always a tough question but any writer would be lying if they said they hadn’t given it some thought at some point. I don’t usually spend a ton of time doing it, but on occasion I will have fun as my wife and I try and cast my books and have debates on who would be the best choice. In reality if that choice were up to me I’d probably want to use maybe lesser known names and not the big stars. I’d never cast a George Clooney or Scarlet Johansson into those roles because it just seems so obvious. I’d want actors that were a bit lesser known than the big names. But at the same time I’d like people that are somewhat recognizable so it’s a fine line to balance. In this instance, I’d say Becca could be played by Molly Quinn. When I created the character, I used her as the backdrop for the physical concept. I really like her work as Alexis on the show Castle. She’s got that subtle toughness and touch of vulnerability that Becca has, and I think the fact they share a last name is a bit of fun coincidence. Roman is a bit tougher because I think a lot of actors could play him well. I thought of a bunch of different actors but for some reason I kept coming back to my very first instinct, and that was Joseph Gordon-Levitt. I’ve been a fan of his work since 3rd Rock From the Sun, and he always impresses me.  He seems to be good at balancing comedy and drama and I think he’d do the role well. 

Q. Are you working on anything new? How is it going?
A. I’m always working on something new. I have a lineup of about 10 projects at any given moment. I just finished and submitted a manuscript to my publisher, which is a pure high-octane romantic/thriller. I’m currently working on the follow up to SAVIOR FREQUENCY which will be my main focus for the next little while. I’ve also started the third book in my Humble Walker series, which may or may not be the final installment of that series. Beyond that, I also have a follow up to THE GAME, which is in the early preliminary stage. I also have two manuscripts that are standalone stories that are basically completed, they just need my edits but I’ll plow through the pile. 

Quick round:

Apple or Droid: Android
Chocolate or Vanilla: chocolate
Comedy or Drama: comedy most of the time, but there’s a place for drama
Call or Text: depends on the situation, call if I have more than a short message to convey.
Coffee or Tea: tea
Ebook or paperback: both. I like eBook conveniences, but the durability of paperbacks.
Holiday: Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment