December 2008 to present: Assistant Managing Editor of Features and Niche Publications, Social Media Coordinator, York Daily Record, York, Pa. I supervise three managers, four reporters and four copy editors to produce two glossy magazines (Spaces and Smart), a daily features section (Monday through Sunday), a weekend entertainment magazine, a monthly teen section as well as other niche products throughout the year. My team is also responsible for four Web sites and a variety of online initiatives. As social media coordinator, I lead an interdepartmental team whose mission is to expand our digital footprint. In addition, I lead weekly meetings of a management team comprised of people from all departments (circulation, advertising, marketing, etc.) to develop products that generate new revenue streams while meeting the growing needs of our readers. I also negotiate features contracts for all MediaNews properties in Pennsylvania and oversee my department’s budget. My work also includes coaching reporters on enterprise projects, which includes story development and editing.
February 2001 to December 2008: Features editor, York Daily Record, York, Pa. I supervised four reporters and six copy editors to produce a daily Living section (Monday through Sunday), a weekend entertainment magazine, a monthly teen section, a quarterly health magazine as well as other niche products throughout the year. I also coached reporters on enterprise projects, which included story development and editing.
September 1999 to February 2001: Entertainment magazine editor, York Daily Record, York, Pa. Responsible for weekly entertainment magazine, including paginating publication, writing cover stories, editing content and assigning and selecting stories.
March 1999 to September 1999: Copy editor, York Daily Record, York, Pa. Responsible for all aspects of copy editing, from paginating page 1, local page and the business page to selecting stories, editing copy and writing headlines and cutlines.
1994-1999 Freelance writer: Work has appeared in Story Friends, Story Mates, Bread for God’s
Children, The Young Crusader, Primary Days, Primary Treasure, and Our Little Friend.
February 1995 to April 1996: Library staffer, Pennsylvania State University. Responsible for ordering books
for children’s collection and performing a variety of clerical duties.
September 1987 to January 1992: Business/wire editor, The Daily News, Lebanon, Pa. Responsible for sorting wire copy, wire photo selection, designing inside and business pages, editing copy, writing headlines and cutlines, supervising business reporter, working slot when needed.
August 1986 to September 1987: Copy editor, Allentown Morning Call, Allentown, Pa. Responsible for designing A section (world, nation, state news), editing copy, writing headlines and cutlines, working closely with Washington and Harrisburg reporters, working slot when needed.
August 1985 to August 1986: Assistant news editor, Pottsville Republican, Pottsville, Pa. Responsible for
designing page 1, county front and jump pages; editing copy; writing headlines and cutlines; overseeing zoning program; supervising reporters; authorizing photo requests; approving/distributing page dummies; writing editorials and columns.
May 1984 to August 1985: Copy editor, Pottsville Republican, Pottsville, Pa. Responsible for designing county front, wire and inside pages; editing copy; writing headlines and cutlines; sorting wires; overseeing weekly church section and special tabs; covering borough council, school board, township and water authority meetings; writing features.
Summer 1983 General assignment reporter, The York Dispatch, York, Pa.
Summer 1982 Intern, The York Dispatch, York, Pa.
Summer 1981 Stringer, The York Dispatch, York, Pa.
Bachelor of Arts: Communications/Journalism
Shippensburg, PA 17257
Graduated with honors
· Coached reporters on projects that won numerous state and national awards, including Distinguish Writing Award in the Keystone Press Awards
· Help lead session at America East Conference on new reader initiatives, March 2008
· Led team that won PNA’s Readership Initiative Award four consecutive years (2006, first; 2007, second; 2008, first; 2009, second)
· ASNE Readership Training: Engaging Young and Diverse Readers, PNA,
Headquarters, June 2006
· PNA’s Executive Network Training, 2004
· ASNE Readership Training, PNA Headquarters, September 2003
· Leadership for Top Newsroom Managers, PNA Headquarters, September 2003
· API Lifestyle Editors: Reflecting Everyday Life for Everyday Readers,
· Empowering the Features Department seminar, PNA Headquarters, November 2002
· Putting Readers First seminar, PNA Headquarters, 2001
· Wilmington Writers Conference, 2000 and 2001
· Features in the New Millennium seminar, PNA Headquarters, 2000
· Features Editors seminar, PNA Headquarters, 2000
Fitness instructor, York YMCA, for five years.
Have written four middle-grade novels, two young adult novels and one picture book.
· Member of AASFE
· Member Christ Lutheran Church, Manchester, Pa.
· Member of Out Door Country Club, York, Pa.
· James McClure, Editor, York Daily Record, York, Pa. 717-771-2011
· Randy Parker, Managing Editor, York Daily Record, York, Pa. 717-771-2012
· Kim Strong, Director of Custom Publications, The Patriot News, 717-257-4750
Also on Linkedin, Twitter (@Buffy_Andrews, @Grandma_Dorothy)